Student Services shine during covid-19 closure
Harrisburg University’s faculty and staff continue to shine as the university manages a full conversion to online classes amid the covid-19 pandemic that has forced the closure of the university’s Harrisburg campus and Philadelphia location.
Not all of our students were able to return home during the closure. Roughly 150 students have decided to remain in university housing, and HU’s Student Services team has worked tirelessly to ensure their safety and well-being during this difficult time.
With most of our campus facilities closed to students, and very few businesses open downtown for them to frequent, Student Services has served as an example of the university’s commitment to our students.
In addition to providing care packages to students, covered by staff and faculty donations, the Student Services team has:
- Shifted HUCC (counseling center) to provide tele-health for students that have an existing relationship with HUCC
- Provided in the moment support from our app and 1-800 number mental health and Student Assistance Program
- Transitioned all peer tutors fully online including drop in hours for technical support for the next few days as UG transitions fully online. We also have virtual study sessions in place
- Provided extra outreach from our Student Success Team and virtual face-to-face meetings to provide support and goal setting during this transition
- Kept a full residence life staff, including RA’s, to respond to students in housing
The team also is moving all of the university’s academic programs, such as registration day, to virtual platforms. And the whole team is brainstorming ways to engage the students socially as well and we are putting together virtual trivia nights, exercises classes, and open mic nights.
In summation, as one faculty member put it, “the student services team has been working their butts off,” and student safety and wellness remains their top priority.
For updates about Harrisburg University’s response to the covid-19 pandemic, follow this Link.
About Harrisburg University
Accredited by the Middle States Commission on Higher Education, Harrisburg University is a private non-profit university offering bachelor and graduate degree programs in science, technology, and math fields to a diverse student body. For more information on the University’s affordable demand-driven undergraduate and graduate programs, call 717.901.5146 or email, Connect@HarrisburgU.edu.